Sep 16, 2007

Fishing Trip


Properly licensed and everything, Jake I went out fishing for the first time for real this morning. We went, literally, down the street to the Boise River after a real fisherman's breakfast at the Micky D's.

The river is so easy to get to, and there are miles of trails up and down both sides, so it was a pretty low impact trek, but much more along the lines of what I expected for our first real fishing trip. There was some impatience with the process, some snags, some lost gear, a few close calls (for me) with some hooks on hyperactive back-casts, and no fish. I didn't manage to get my pole in the water, but it was fun to watch Jake experience his first trip. His main impression was that the bait smelled bad.

You could see the fish jumping as we fished both sides of the river and the small pond there, but caught more sticks and moss than fish. I am positive that if I could have gotten a rod in the water we could have caught something, but I spent most of my time untangling, retreiving hooks that were launched into trees, re-baiting when the bait was flung out into the middle of the river because he forgot to let go of the reel and the line snapped back, and mainly getting a good, religious Sunday morning dose of fatherly patience (something I admit I don't generally have in large reserve), but I did really well this morning.

I don't know if it was just the Jake/Daddy time, if it was being up and out early on a Sunday, listening to the bluegrass station in the truck, or if it was being out on the water while the sun rose in the sky fishing, but despite all the above I had a really good time and am gearing up to go next weekend up in Stanley on the lake. Let you know how that goes then....

No comments: