Those species may have got this parenting thing figured out. One of the fallouts of Jake attending Kindergarten this year is that he is acting more like a Kindergartener. Go figure.
Actually, if I hadn't compared notes with several other parents with children age 4-6 I would describe his behavior as "pre-teen".
"Whatever" is now a "time out word".
As in, "Jake, please put your shoes away.".
"Whatever!" (often accompanied by a deep sigh and possible eye rolling.)
He continues to entertain (or is the word I am looking for "annoy"?) us with his constant dialogue. I swear this kid never shuts up. Especially in the car. You know that scene in Shrek 2 where Donkey and Shrek and Princess Fiona are driving to "Far Far Away" to visit her parents and Donkey keeps talking and talking and talking and finally Fiona shouts: "Just for five minutes, can't you just stop being YOU!". Let's just say that Brian and I can relate to that scene.
Seriously, though. He has grown up overnight. In good ways, too.
- He is so much more independent and helpful with Tanner and Faith. The other morning Tanner woke up before 7 (the time at which Jake is allowed to come in our room) and we heard him get up and crawl into the crib with Tanner. He proceeded to read book after book to him while saying things like, "Dada is sleeping right now. He'll be in to get you soon, Tanner." (By "read" I mean look at the pictures and recite what he remembers about each book)
- He is into taking care of the environment and reminds us to reuse everything, picks up trash on walks to throw away at home, and recycles all that he can. My car is full of empty soda cans and wrappers he has found while running errands.
- He is really into football right now. And he plays it like a pro. I swear. You'd think he had lessons or something. He throws with a spiral, catches from across the yard, and loves to "kick off" and "hike" the ball. He can keep score and add each 7 point touchdown (we haven't gotten into the one point conversion thing yet...) to the previous score.
- His latest favorite song is by the Dixie Chicks- "I'm Not Ready to Make Nice". He tells me that he feels the emotions in the song -that parts make him feel sad and ready to cry, parts make him mad, and parts just feel good to shout out at the top of his lungs. We listen to it several times each day on the way to and from school. He tells me that part of the song makes his eyes get teary... and I know exactly what he means.
For now I think the kid is safe from being ingested.
No comments:
Post a Comment