Dec 25, 2007

Traditions




A conversation I had with my sister on Christmas Eve got me thinking about family traditions and what my kids will remember about their childhood, especially with regards to the holidays.

I have so many incredible memories of Christmas: I grew up baking elaborate and time consuming cookies with my Grammy, mom, and sisters, singing Christmas carols and playing charades on Christmas Eve, eating a "snacky" dinner while decorating the tree...and a hundred other little things that made the holiday special. What will my kids remember?

I know what I HOPE they remember...
  • Making (and eating large quantities of) Chex Mix with Grandma
  • Baking cookies with Mom (Tanner's favorite this year were the Mexican Wedding Cakes!)
  • Putting on silly Santa hats and aprons and making a big pancake breakfast with Daddy on Christmas morning
  • Opening a tool (from Dad) and a book engraved with their name (from Mom) every Christmas from birth so that when they turn 18 and go off to start on their own in the world they are equipped with a full toolbox and 18 classic novels
  • Taking turns getting to put the angel on top of the tree. Jake did it in 2005, Tanner in 2006, and Faith had the honors this year
  • Throwing a quarter at the tree and having the present it hits be the first present opened on Christmas morning
  • Always opening new jammies on Christmas Eve
  • Leaving cookies and milk on the table at bedtime and finding a thank you note from Santa in their place the next morning
  • Singing "Baby It's Cold Outside" (Brian and I's favorite "carol") about 500 times during the month of December (We have 4 different versions!)
  • Watching Shrek the Halls (This is a new tradition since it just came out this year, but it is hysterical and I hope it becomes a yearly thing! Jake and I have been quoting the movie for weeks now. My favorite lines? "That wasn't Christmas, that was CHAOS!" and "Christmas ain't Christmas until somebody cries!")
Of course there is the downside to creating such a magical time....As I was putting Jake to bed on Sunday night he looked sad. When I asked him why he was down he said, "Mom, I don't want tomorrow to be Christmas Eve!". Thinking this was strange since all he had been talking about for weeks was how many days it was until Christmas finally arrived, I asked him why. "Because that means that the time is almost over. I don't want this special time to be over, Mom!".

A boy (for better or worse) after my own heart. I always had a little holiday letdown, too (although usually not TWO FULL DAYS BEFORE CHRISTMAS DAY!).

No comments: