Jun 16, 2008

Fathers Day - 2008


I had an excellent Fathers Day again this year. I got my presents the night before (which I always love!); a great picture frame and card from Jake and a new iPod to replace my old one (five years old, three batteries, cracked case, scratched screen, no longer works unless it's plugged in - it led a good and fulfilling life...but you can watch movies on this one!).

Some details about the day in a minute, but first something Marisa said had me thinking all day about my life and what being a Father means to me. Normally, the kids wake us up in the morning, and most mornings, we all get up around the same time. Sometimes (rarely) Marisa stays in bed a little longer if I can convince her to. So yesterday, she was going to let me sleep in. She went into the boys room at about 5:15 am when Jake started to stir so she could get them back to sleep so I could sleep in. A little while after that, Faithy started to fuss in her room. I was already pretty much wide awake, so I got up and brought her downstairs.

We played a little bit and I fixed her some breakfast while I started the laundry. When the boys and Marisa came downstairs, I made waffles for breakfast while the new iPod played and folded the first load of clothes. Marisa explained that she was trying to let me sleep in and said, " I guess you really love your life if this is how you choose to spend your Fathers Day."...meaning the same way we spend almost every Sunday. That really got me thinking.

That is the way I would choose to start ANY morning if I could. Not on the golf course, not out on the river, not at a guys weekend in Vegas. But home, with my kids, first thing in the morning. Music on, kids playing and talking, trying to plan out a day when you can't even hear yourself think. I DO love my life, and it's all due to my wonderful wife and kids.

We went for an (unintentionally) long bike ride, stopped and had smoothies for lunch, napped and hit Chili's for dinner. I have been really watching what I have been eating and had been jonesing for an Awesome Blossom, and one of those new burgers, with the huge, thick bacon. Well dinner did not disappoint (that bacon may be one of the best things I have ever eaten...). Then home, movies and the NBA finals. What a great day!

On a side note, I have been trying to teach Jake to ride his two wheeler without training wheels. He is doing really good so far as you can see in the video below. I figured grass would be less scary. He just got a two wheeled scooter and has been doing great on his skateboard and in swim lessons. It won't be long until Fathers Day starts with, "See Ya Dad. Me and Tyler are skateboarding down to the pool, be back later...", with the sound of the slamming screen door echoing over my John Hiatt from the iPod......enjoy them while you can. Thanks for the great Fathers Day, Marisa, Jake, Tanner and Faith, I love you all and couldn't imagine (or would want) a life without all of you in it.

-Brian

No comments: