
Once again I am reminded of the importance of flexibility in this life. It's been quite a week- professionally speaking. Wednesday night I received an email from my principal for next year (I had signed a contract in April for a 2nd grade teaching position at a charter school in Eagle) stating that the State Commission of Charter Schools had voted unanimously to revoke the charter of our school. Trying not to panic, I did some research and found the audio transcripts of all of the previous year's commission meetings ( hours of fun entertainment! ) and found out the school was given a list of deficiencies way back in April. There were several meetings in May and June, then at the July meeting earlier this week, the commission gave the news that they were voting to revoke the charter. To make a long, long story very short, let's just say that after speaking with the Deputy Superintendent of Idaho (luckily I know him pretty well from my job this year at Apangea and was able to call him directly) I found out more details about the school and its leadership and I decided to resign my position and stay at Apangea to help with implementation for another year. As many of you know, I was dying to get back to the classroom, so this was definitely a blow for me at first. I spent a few hours yesterday feeling sorry for myself, but after a relaxing date night last night (Thanks, Mary!) and a day at the lake with the kids today, I am feeling 100% better. I keep reminding myself that I have a long teaching career in front of me. And Brian keeps reminding me of how much I truly respect the product that I am promoting, the people I work with, and how much more flexible my schedule is with this job.
Considering I had spent all day Tuesday and Wednesday interviewing candidates for my replacement, I had to kind of cow-tow back to my boss and ask for my job back. He was so supportive. In fact, everyone at Apangea was GREAT and not only told me I could have my job back without any hesitation, but also told me how happy they are that I am staying. Unfortunately this means I will have to go back to Pittsburgh for training the first week of August. Luckily I really like my colleagues- in fact my boss is probably one of my closest friends here- but being gone for 5 nights will be rough, especially considering I am going to be gone 3 nights this week for a training in Idaho Falls.... Brian gets another opportunity to shine as Super Dad :)
No comments:
Post a Comment