Dec 30, 2009

The Day After.......

Marisa is doing the Christmas post and I'm doing this one so the order will be messed up as she hasn't gotten to her's yet. I have a break in work, so I'm getting mine done now.

We had planned to go up to Bogus tubing with everyone on the day after Christmas, but after continuously checking the snowfall indicator up there on the internet (God love the internet!), it was obvious that they weren't going to get enough snow to open the hill. (As I type this I am watching the ATV's clear the walks in our neighborhood of the three inches we got last night, and just checked, Bogus got four + inches since closing yesterday and the tubing hill is open today). So we went online and found a new tubing hill that just opened up in Garden Valley this year.

We had seen some local cable commercials for this new hill and decided to take everyone up to check it out for the first time. It was a great time for everyone, albeit with a little drama. As it turns out, the tubing area is a marketing draw for the cabin/condo community they're trying to build up there. They make the snow and there are six runs of differing degrees of craziness with a snack shack and a yurt with a fireplace in the middle of this sub-division. There were only two of the cabins finished, but it looked like it would be a cool place if they ever get it built.

The kids all had a really good time going down runs 1&2 which were slower and didn't have any big jumps. I rode with Tanner in a double tube and he had a GREAT time in run 1, but got a little scared in run 2 so we headed to the yurt for some fire time. Jake had a loose tooth when we went up and smacked his face on his tube, knocking the tooth out, so he got a little yurt time in as well. Someone went down the run the wrong way, ate it pretty bad and ended up having to be airlifted out, so most of the runs were closed while they tended to him.

Once the runs opened back up, I announced that I was going up to try run 6. This really concerned Tanner and Jake. They both said that I was going to hurt myself and reminded me that I broke my arm last year. I explained that there was no way I was going to leave without trying #6 and if I broke my arm again, I broke my arm. It was really no big deal last year and wouldn't be again this year. You would have thought I was literally headed off to war they way they were carrying on as I headed up the tow lift. #6 was awesome (no broken bones or injuries of any sort) with a couple of big jumps where you got some serious air towards the bottom. John and I rode that one down a couple of times and then we were done.

We went into Garden Valley for lunch and then drove back to Boise, where all of the kids in our car promptly fell asleep and slept for most of the hour or so drive back to the house. All in all a great outing and one that we will do again. It's about as long a drive as it is up to Bogus.

Anyway, photo and video attached. Way better than being out shopping on the day after!

No comments: