Feb 22, 2010

Then and Now

Jake has always been a sensitive boy and several things have happened recently that have reminded me just how tender hearted he really is. A few weekends ago Miss Wendy's dog had to be put to sleep. When I dropped the kids at daycare she took me aside (Jake was with me) and let me know that their 13 year old dog had several seizures over the weekend and her fiance, Travis, had decided that it was time. This was a much loved pet and they were both really sad and she wanted to know if it was OK for her to tell Tanner and Faith the truth. Yes, I said, they could tell the kids that Lexie had died- we are not big believers in the "Lexie went to live on a farm" method. Jake and I got back in the car and his eyes were filled with tears. He said, "Mom, isn't Milo 13 years old?". Uh-oh. Thus began the conversation about the likelihood of Milo passing on in the next few years. Even though he knew Milo was old, he was so sad to hear it confirmed, and I swear, since that time, has been paying more attention to Milo than ever before. He has asked to see pictures of Milo with him as a baby and is really protective of him. If, heaven forbid, I raise my voice at Milo (say when he follows me into my small closet and I trip over him trying to reach my sock drawer) Jake rises to his defense immediately.

Here is a recent picture of the two of them together, next to one of the first pictures of them together. Another reminder that time goes too fast....

No comments: