Apr 5, 2010

Flower Girl

For the record, daycare providers are, in my book, heroes. Let me say how incredibly lucky we are to have the kids in a daycare where they are so loved and appreciated. Wendy and Travis take care of Faith and Tanner like they are their own children. We feel like it is their second family. We realized that Wendy and Travis felt the same way when they asked us if Faith could be their Flower Girl in their wedding.

Wendy involved both the kids in all the wedding planning details- Tanner even went to the mall with Wendy to help her pick out shoes and he was the one that picked out the bracelet that she wore during the ceremony. Faith had many chances to practice what she called her "flowergirling" in the weeks leading up to the wedding wherein Tanner stood in for Thomas (Wendy's third grader who escorted Faith in the real wedding) and held Faith's arm while she held the flower basket and practiced dropping the petals while she walked through the livingroom. She had a beautiful dress and shoes, got to attend the rehearsal, and even got a "wedding party" present (a lavender silky purse that she slept with the first few nights after she received it).

Even though she never expressesd any concern or worry I have to say that I was a little worried that when push came to shove and she found herself in the back of a crowded wedding hall with mom and dad nowhere in sight and strangers lining the aisle on either side of her, she would panic or cry or refuse to walk or whatever. But, nope. She was a pro. She took her job very seriously and portioned out the flowers, dropping them very carefully as she walked. I don't think she was the least bit scared or nervous. She was so well behaved for the TWO HOURS of pictures we had to take before the wedding, too. We were so proud of her. We had so many comments from wedding guests on how composed she was and Trav said how happy he was to see her walking down the aisle and smiling at him.

The boys got all dressed up to attend the wedding (their first) and looked so handsome in their suits/vests/dress pants. I am fairly certain this is the only time in history we have all been dressed up at the same time. Quite a departure from our average day of sweats, baseball/football/hockey/basketball jersies, jeans, and baseball caps!

We left fairly early and Jake was disappointed we didn't get to stay for the "disco" (his words, not what was actually on the agenda I don't think....) but on the way home I overheard this conversation:

Jake: Tanner, did you like the kissing part?

Tanner: (with a sly grin on his face) Yeaaaaaaah!

Jake: Me too!

Tanner: Who are you going to marry when you grow up?

Jake: I don't know yet Tanner. Who are you going to marry?

Tanner: I'm not sure. Maybe Mom or Faith.

Faith: (piping up from the seat ahead): No, Tana, I am going to marry Mom!


No comments: