Oct 30, 2010

Giants Fever


I don't know how we will handle the series- I mean my children were basically parentless for the last few weeks. Dinner? Oh, yeah... that thing that I hastily throw on a plate or pick up from a drive thru prior to first pitch? You mean kids can't live on chicken nuggets and pizza alone? You mean PB and J and yogurt five days a week will not help my kids grow up healthy and strong? Faith and Tanner have learned more about playing alone and taking care of themselves through this playoff season than ever before. Legos have been in wide use, as have coloring and multiple viewings (which for them are more like "acting outs") of The Lion King upstairs in our bedroom (thank goodness for two TV's). For the playoff series my mom sent the kids five dollars each to use at the Merc during the games- that helped keep them entertained for a little bit for each game and I have to say, the sight of Jake holding Faith and Tanner's hands across the street and helping them pick out treats makes me so happy!

The tension of Game 6 nearly killed Brian and I- the kids were in bed (we gave them the choice
to stay up for Saturday or Sunday's game and they picked Sunday). Game six was SO GREAT! We were unable to sit down for several innings- jumping around like a crazy person, hopping from foot to foot watching Brian Wilson pitch (OK, so it was only me that was actually hopping around). I was sure one of us would have a heart attack. Oh my gosh we have had so much fun. We spend the games texting with our fellow Giant fans- Sheila and Wayne- our friends we went to spring training with this year. When they won in game 6 Brian looked at me and said, "What the hell will we do with Tanner and Faith for the next series? We're gonna have to buy them a monkey or something!"

We received a box in the mail from Auntie Sue
yesterday filled with Giants gear: a Posey shirt for
Tanner, Lincecum for Jake, Cain for me, Faith got an AT & T ballpark shirt, and Brian got Uribe. All the kids also got sweatshirts. Between that and the flag that we bought after the playoffs, we were good to go! The boys immediately put on their shirts, headed out back and played "pitcher,catcher" in their appropriate roles. Brian's shirt must have been good luck since Uribe hit a home run in the first game. I saved my Cain shirt until game 2 when he pitched an amazing game. Thanks, Auntie Sue, for thinking of us, and also for bringing the Giants such good luck! The next day we got a box in the mail from Grandma Mary. Man, are we spoiled!!! Inside we found the traditional ballpark treat: Cracker Jacks. Also money for a hot dog or pizza dinner for one of the games. Really... this has just been TOO MUCH FUN.

Although Tanner and Faith don't watch all the games with us, they are very into the series. When giving them a bath before the game on Wedn
esday I heard them from the other room saying, "Fear the Beard! Fear the Beard!". When I walked into their bathroom I saw that they had both covered their chins with bubbles and were chanting for our favorite closer: Brian Wilson.

World Series Game 3 tonight. Already got dinner planned and made: turkey and cheese sandwiches with an apple, cheese stick, juice box, and animal crackers (so what if it was sold to me in a little plastic lunch box already made at Walmart... I figure it's better than a happy meal. GO GIANTS!

No comments: