Jake and I took our trip to California last weekend (his birthday present from us and Auntie Sue) and it was even better than either of us had anticipated- and we were both pretty excited to begin with! The idea was that Jake would spend the weekend with his Auntie Sue, while I hung out with old friends. It was just what the doctor ordered- for both of us. Jake needed the one-on-one attention with one of his most favorite people in the world while I really needed to reconnect with old friends and have some time to myself after March being so difficult.
It was really fun to travel with just Jake- easy and low key. We played lots of games of Wordle on the way there, each of us had a good book to read, and it was fun to have the "alone" time together. I started my festivities an hour after landing by meeting some old friends from my Sycamore days for Happy Hour- just like old times. Some of the people there I hadn't seen since I had moved, five years ago! It was so much fun to catch up on everyone's lives- some had become Grandmas, others had several children marry or get engaged, one had retired. I felt like no time had passed. It was fun to catch up on "Sycamore Gossip" and just hang out. After Happy Hour Lisa and I went to dinner and got to spend a little more time together. I miss my friends!!

Jake had a great evening playing Old Maid (and winning prizes, of course), building forts in the garage, and watching a movie with Auntie Sue. I was spoiled with a Peets card to use during my visit, as well as some of my favorite Sees candies. We both needed the TLC and appreciated the thoughfulness so much.
The next day we were up bright and early (530AM) as Uncle Eric was picking Jake up to spend the day with him. Eric is equipment manager for the Warriors so he and Jake spent the day together at the Warriors practice facility- Jake got to meet the players, get autographs, see the training room, have a made-to-order breakfast by the team's chef,...even shoot some hoops with a player or two. Uncle Eric gave Jake so many Warriors goodies- tshirts, sweatshirts, workout gear, hats, and two b-balls. They were gone from 7AM until almost 6PM. Jake was so excited when he got home. He even has a picture of himself with his favorite player, Steph Curry.
While Jake was in basketball heaven, I was visiting with more friends. I had a several hour coffee break with Sheila in the morning, then headed to Livermore to check out the town. Lots had changed since we moved, but it still felt so familiar. It was fun to just hang out there for a few hours. Later that afternoon I met up with Shannon for drinks/dinner and lots of conversation! Again... I miss my friends! It was great to see Sheila and Shannon without any of the kids around! On Sunday I headed to San Jose to spend the morning/afternoon with Kim. We had a great afternoon together in downtown Los Altos. Again, without the kids... (Are you seeing a theme here??).
On Sunday Jake hung out with Auntie Sue (recuperating from the long day before) and got ready for the Warriors game. He and Mona and Auntie Sue celebrated his birthday before going (ice cream cake and all!) then headed to Oakland. Jake saw lots of people he "knew" from the day before and even got to go in the locker room during halftime. The players remembered his name and high fived him and stuff, which was very cool. He came home that night with even more Warriors loot from Uncle Eric, including a Steph Curry jersey.
It was a really great trip for both of us. It was so special for Jake to have the time with his Uncle Eric, Mona, and Auntie Sue (and the Warriors!) and for me to spend time with my friends and sister. I definitely want to make the trip more often in the coming years.
No comments:
Post a Comment