Jun 14, 2011

Raising a Girl


Recently Faith has been in to cheerleading. Whenever we have sports on TV (which is often in our household) she takes out her "cheerleads" (pompoms) and does her little dance routine. Yesterday when Tanner had a friend over and they were playing football in the back yard she got out her "cheerleads" and went outside to cheer for them. Cute, yes, but also kind of disturbing to me.

She is just starting to develop real interests and has expressed a desire in taking different classes: soccer, dance, tball, gymnastics, etc... It changes everyday! At this point she doesn't realize that there actually are cheerleading opportunities for four year old girls here (a slight shudder just went through my whole body as I typed that) and this is because I refuse to tell her about them or give her the opportunity to join these "teams". Brian feels I am being unfair to her, that I should present her with all the options and let her choose which she wants to do- but I think that what she doesn't know won't hurt her.

I have a huge problem with little girls cheerleading. I don't want my daughter to grow up cheering for boys in skimpy little outfits. I want her to be the one others are cheering for!! Is this wrong??? When she is older and has tried lots of interests, if she still really wants to cheerlead, well... then it will be a conversation she and I will have together. But for now? I am keeping her as far away from organized cheerleading as I realistically can.

No comments: