Dec 10, 2011

Basketball Season


It's a really BIG shot at this age
Today was the last day of basketball games for both the boys in the YMCA league. As per usual, the last game was followed by treats and the "everyone gets a trophy" presentations. I assistant coached Jake's Third Grade team for the 1st half and then Tanner and I had to leave to get across town for his game.


Tanner had a great season. Kindergarten Y-Ball is really just awesome. No one really has much game and everyone is more or less at the same level. The teaching is the basics, traveling, double dribble etc. and a made shot is a huge deal. No score, no winners/losers etc. This was the first season that I actually had a boy on the team who was too little to get the ball all the way up to the 8 ft hoop. He didn't score a point all season, but never got down, never got discouraged, he would just keep coming down the court and throwing it up there, sure that one time he was going to get it. Tanner made several baskets over the course of the season, was a great ball handler and a very good passer on the few occasions where I told him he wasn't allowed to make any more shots and had to pass the ball. We had 11 kids on the team, which was tough because it means that you have to substitute mid quarter so that the 11th kid gets equal playing time. I had one of the dad's help me on the bench and that was his whole job, keeping the playing time straight. Tanner loved basketball and had a great time. We are putting a basketball court in at the new house so he will be able to get lots of practice in before next season.


Jake brings it down
Jake had a good year individually as well. I guess he is just getting to a tough age sports wise, because we ran into some of the same issues during basketball that we ran into during baseball. Some of the kids on the team are really good, know what to do and want to win (again, this is the first year they kept score) and some of the kids, this was their first year playing the game. At this age there isn't a higher level option beyond just Y-Ball. AAU starts her after 5th grade. It makes me feel bad for the boys who can play as they bring the ball up and have two options, be a ball hog, or pass it to someone who may or may not be ready for it, may or may not be able to catch it, and most likely, turn the ball over. His coach this year was one of the parents that we had issues with during the baseball season, so it was interesting to see how he handled it. The last game, we played the best 5 together for just one quarter to see what they could do and they had a 16-2 quarter, so they can really tear it up, given the opportunity. Jake has one more year at this level and then he can try out for AAU if he wants.


I had a great time coaching both boys teams, but was exhausted each Saturday afternoon, so I am a little relieved the season is over. Trying to keep 11 6 year olds were they are supposed to be and running up and down the court with them is tiring enough, then trying to coach what was essentially two different third grade teams (some on the basics and some on the advanced pick and roll etc.), was even more tiring. Combine them and I was feeling every single one of my 42 years by Saturday afternoon. It was a lot of fun, and I'm sure I'll do it next year again, but I am trying to coerce Marisa into coaching Kindergarten girls ball next year for Faith. 


The boys are done with serious leagues for a bit (they have some football camps over the break) and so it is Faith's turn. She has signed up for ballet, jazz and tap lessons (although she is scared of tap for some reason) for the next few months. Once we get thru winter, it's baseball time. Tanner and Faith will be on the same TBall team and Jake will try out for AAA. The seasons change and they grow older, and so do I.
Coaching Tanners Team

No comments: