I had to take a second to jot down some things I want to remember about the kids these days. Just this morning I was sitting on the couch with the three kids surrounding me and we were all looking through our blog book from 2008 and I was reading it aloud to them and we were all just cracking up at the stories and pictures. There is so much that I had completely forgotten. I was so glad to see it all in print and to be able to relive it with the kids now that they are a little older.
So....
| At Trans-Siberian Orchestra |
Faith. She is my creative, artistic soul. She has taken to making up complete songs and walks around the house singing them. They make sense and sometimes they rhyme. She has a decidedly country-music feel to her singing and inflection (Hmmm.... could be that's because that's what she hears her Mama sing all the time?). Seriously, though, she is almost "soulful" in how she sings these songs! She still loves to color and draw- lately she has been into making rainbows and drawing us under them. She is such a smart little girl in so many ways. She is book smart- she loves to write and sound out words - but she also just "gets" things in a way that I think is remarkable. I am constantly looking at Brian pointedly with my eyebrows raised after she has said something particularly insightful. She really bonded with Papa this last trip. The highlight of her time with him was probably the day we went to Old Navy to return something. She and Papa played hide-and-seek in the store and "chase". No, not behavior I would normally condone in a store, but both she and her Papa were having so much fun, I just had to let them carry on! She began her dance lessons last week and LOVED it. She did ballet and tap and the videos I got are hilarious! It remains to be seen whether or not she will have any actual talent for dance. Right now she mostly just jumps around and makes lots of noise! She loves preschool. This month they are studying space and she is so excited that she gets to do homework (they have to draw a picture of the moon each week for the month to follow the stages).
| We have no idea why he's a Packers fan... |
Tanner. He is doing so well in Kindergarten. He, too, is such a smart, attentive little boy. He has never had any behavior issue at school. He is a good listener (at least at school...). He is reading words and sentences and likes to look over my shoulder at whatever book/magazine that I happen to be reading and find words he knows. He is very good at math and amazed his Papa with double digit addition (I had no idea he could do that so I was pretty amazed, too!). He loves school and loves his friends there. He plays football nonstop with his brother and the neighborhood kids. He has all the makings of an excellent wide receiver- however, he needs to put on some pounds. This boy is all skin and bones. A good word to describe his present body type is "scrawny". All my kids are cuddlers, but he takes the cake. If I start my morning without immediately giving him a hug he finds me (usually by the coffee maker) and says, "Mommy, I don't think I gave you a hug yet today!" and then just grabs on. He often asks me to bend down and then he kisses my cheek and tells me how much he loves me. Apparently he is quite the "ladies man" of the K class. We tease him about a little girl named Emma who has a crush on him. He gets all embarrassed and turns red. Too funny. He is definitely in a bit of a "testing" rebellious phase. Listening and following directions at home is not his strong suit right now- Sometimes he is naughty just to be naughty and see what he can get away with. Normal kid behavior, I guess, but it is getting a little frustrating to both Brian and I!
| This poor soul has decided he's a Raiders fan like his Daddy... |
Jake. What's up with my eldest these days? Well, he was invited to his first girl birthday party (where the entire class wasn't invited- just a few kids). It was him and one of his best friends, Braeden, and three girls from his class. He was so funny getting ready for it. He spiked up his hair the morning of the party and he used some of his own money to augment her gift (we only let the kids spend 10-15 dollars for party gifts and what he wanted was 25.00 so he used his allowance that he had saved to pay the difference!). It will be interesting to see who he wants to invite to his bday party this year. He has had a little trouble lately with some boys at school making fun of him for being small- which hurts me to see but I also think its a great learning situation for him because so many things have come easily to this kid. He wants to play football so badly and some of the bigger boys tell him he will never be more than a ball boy and things like that. He doesn't get too upset- we just remind him how to react and give him ammunition with all the smaller NFL players, NBA players, etc... If heart has anything to do with it, this kid will go far in sports! He still likes school, even as it is getting more challenging. He tends to "freak out" a little over projects so Brian and I are working with him on taking things one step at a time. He has been starting (finally!) to read books for fun and not just for the minimum for school. Of course, they are all still sports books... but one hurdle at a time!
No comments:
Post a Comment