Feb 11, 2012

FEB 2012 - Lots to Remember


Wow there's been a lot going on... and I haven't been writing nearly as much as I usually do. 
A few highlights from the last few weeks:

Globetrotters

One of the Harlem Globetrotters ("HiLites") visited the boys school a week ago and did an assembly for them in conjunction with their annual Heart Association fundraiser, Hoops for Heart. I guess he put on a great show and the boys were dying to go see the Globetrotters play while they were here in Boise. They used their own money to buy their tickets and to buy one for me to take them. They watched videos on you tube leading up to the event- which was last Monday night. It was a big deal since it was a school night. The boys wanted Nana to come and I told them that she would have no interest in seeing them, but then when they mentioned it to her she lit up and said, "I have always wanted to see them! Can I come along?".  So it was me and Nana and the two boys for a night on the town. Brian and Faith stayed home and had a Movie Night with cookies and ice cream and Black Beauty.  I had no idea what to expect and I definitelyI had more fun watching the boys reaction to the show than watching the actual show myself. Hokey and silly but we had a great time. A ton of Hidden Springs residents were there so the kids knew a lot of people that were near us in the stands. We didn't get home until almost 10 at night, but surprisingly we didn't pay for it the rest of the week for once!

Faith's Dance "Recital"

Faith's dance class is held here in Hidden Springs in a resident's converted garage. It is a small space so most classes we are not really encouraged to stay and watch. But the first class of each month the teacher has all the parents take a seat around the outside edge of the dance floor so we can watch the whole thing. Faith was so excited for her brothers, Nana, daddy, and I to come watch her. The class is for 4/5 year olds and so many of the girls really don't listen and just goof around, but Faith takes it very seriously, listens to every direction the teacher gives, and clearly is trying so hard to get the steps right and to stay on the beat. Her brothers loved watching her and were so complimentary of her afterwards. It was literally heart-warming to hear them gush to her about how good she was and how proud they were of her. Of course, her Nana also loved watching her dance- especially the tap dance routine to Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt. 

TBall/Baseball Returns

Sign-ups were several weeks ago and all three kids are raring to go. We didn't know if, when push came to shove, Faith would actually want to play- especially because we won't allow the kids to do two activities at once so to play tball she will have to stop dance lessons. But she was very clear that she wants to play this year.  Both of her brothers have lots of advice for her on how to pitch and hit and throw. She really hasn't shown much interest prior to now in wanting to practice these skills, but now she is asking Brian all the time to practice with her.  He is really good with her and, surprisingly, she accepts his instruction very gracefully. She and Tanner will be on the same team and Brian will be the coach. I can't wait for the season to start! Tanner has been practicing catching pop flys in our yard and on the green and I am amazed by his tenacity. He loves to "take batting practice" with Brian at the local field and I know is looking so forward to being on the team not only with his sister but also his best friend, Evan. Jake has to "try out" this year to be on the Triple A team so he has also been practicing as he really wants to "make it". If he isn't selected then he will have to play double A again and I am pretty sure he will be heartbroken. Several of his buddies have opted out this year, preferring instead to play soccer. He is a little disappointed but his heart is really with baseball and football and though he plays lots of soccer at recess, he has shown no interest in joining a team. Whew! Three sports a year are all I can take!  Even though baseball season will be hectic and crazy and will coincide with our move (more than likely) I am so excited for it to start in April. I love watching the kids play and also love the social time with the other moms and dads. Hopefully we will continue to have this mild winter and spring will be warmer this year so we can go to the games in sweatshirts and not parkas!

One Little Monkey Jumping on the Bed

We had our first trip to the ER last week. I was at work late and when I walked in the house Faith was on the couch screaming bloody murder and Brian's shirt was covered in blood. The kids had been bouncing on the bed (Hmmmm... did I need to tell them 238 times NOT TO JUMP ON THE BED before it sunk in??) and Faith took a header into the headboard. She had a deep cut on her chin and two bad cuts inside her mouth. We called Nana who came and stayed with the boys while Brian and I took a trip down the hill to see a Dr. Luckily she didn't need stitches and he was able to glue the cut together.  She was a trooper through it all. When we got back home, she played it up to get lots of extra love from Nana on the couch. 

No comments: