Our trip to CA was for a sad reason, my Uncle Rick's Memorial Service. It was great so see my family, but hard because Uncle Rick was always there and always had a smile for everyone. I have always had a great relationship with my Uncle, even when we didn't see each other all that much. From him, I got my love of old houses and construction. When I was younger he was always working on his various houses. In their first home that I remember in Fremont, he built a water fall and lazy river in their backyard. I remember going there and just being amazed at the amount of design and work went into it and how cool it was. Ever since then, when I am working on a house I think of that house and when I think of taking a shortcut, I think of the work that he did and don't. He helped me put an HVAC system in my first house, 14 years ago now, in the middle of Summer in Tracy CA (it must have been over a 100 degrees all three days).
When we first got the news that he had cancer, I was devastated. That was almost three years ago. I saw Uncle Rick a few times between then and now and he was always the same, happy guy who always made you the center of the conversation. He told great stories and could always get a laugh. He seemed so happy that I started to think that maybe it was just going to fix itself and everything would be fine. The end came quickly and, even though we were told it was coming, that didn't make it any easier to take.
Just as I liked to emulate Uncle Rick as I worked on houses, I would really like to have people think of me when I am gone as I think of him. The quote below is how I define a successful life after the fact, and Uncle Rick nailed it.
He has achieved success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who has gained the respect of intelligent men and the love of little children; who has filled his niche and accomplished his task; who has left the world better than he found it, whether by an improved poppy, a perfect poem, or a rescued soul; who has never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who has always looked for the best in others and given them the best he had; whose life was an inspiration; whose memory a benediction.
Thanks for giving me something to emulate and something to try to live up to. Love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment