We had a family trip to the library last night and while the kids were choosing books, Brian and I found some classic TV on DVD to rent. Yep... we introudced our kids to the campy fun of Giligan's Island last night. It was, for the most part, against their will. But within 10 seconds of the first episode starting they were all laughing hysterically and repeating silly lines. Now, after watching 2 episodes last night, they are clamoring for more tonight. THEY LOVED IT. They were all a little perplexed at first that there was no color so I had to explain "the olden days" when TV was all in black and white.
It was really fun for Brian and I, too, reliving the countless hours we spent as kids watching Gilligan, The Skipper, Professor, The Millionaire and His Wife, and of course "The Movie Star", and Maryanne. Brian remembers drinking red Kool aid and eating rice crispy treats during the show and I vividly recall coming home after school, making a snack and settling in the Den with Kim to catch some reruns.
We haven't been introduced to the head hunters on the island yet, and are hoping that aspect of the show won't scare them (cross your fingers...).
It is so dated, so silly and way more over the top slapstick than I had remembered... but we loved it. I think we may all be singing the theme song for the next few weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment