Jan 31, 2013

More Things I Don't Want to Forget

Sunday mid morning is typically when I go grocery shopping. Sometimes it's just me, sometimes one or more of the kids come along. It just depends on what's going on at home and what Brian is up to and whether or not football is on. I always stop at Starbucks on my way to the store to get myself a mocha to drink while perusing the aisles at Fred Meyer or Walmart or WinCo. Last Sunday Jake decided to come with me and Tanner and Faith decided to stay home. I love when only one of them comes because it is great one-on-one time (and that is somewhat of a luxury around here!). As we sat down in the car I noticed that Jake tucked something in his pocket. I asked him what it was and he said it was nothing, not to worry about it. I cranked up the music and we headed out.

First stop was, of course, Starbucks. I ordered my drink and took out my iPhone Starbucks app to pay. But before she could scan the barcode on my phone Jake whipped out a $20.00 bill from his pocket (the mysterious slip of paper from the car) and said, "This one's on me!". The barista and I were both kind of shocked, touched, and laughing. He said he'd been planning it for awhile and wanted to treat me to coffee with his own money.  I think I had a smile a mile wide the rest of the day.

Later that day I was coloring with Faith when out of the blue she asked me,"Mom, how do you learn how to do all the things that you do?". I wasn't sure what she was talking about so I said, "You mean like coloring?" and she said, "No. Like how do you learn to be a good mommy?".  I told her that it is a very hard job but I learned from my mom and I learn as I go along and I make lots of mistakes. She was quiet for a few minutes and then said, "How many mistakes do you think you've made, Mom?".  I hugged her and said, "More than I could count. Thousands!". She assured me I am still the best mom ever.


Speaking of one-on-one time... Jake was at a sleepover party last weekend so Brian and Tanner got to have some male bonding time during the NFL Playoffs. The two of them turned on the afternoon game upstairs on the big screen, folded out the futon so they could stretch out, and enjoyed the game together. They were so cute sitting up there together, come dinnertime I couldn't resist making them dinner and delivering it to them to eat in the Bonus Room. This is usually a "no eating zone" so Tanner was thrilled to get his grilled cheese, chips, and carrots delivered to him on the futon. It was kind of sexist, but Faith and I stayed downstairs and watched some of Top Chef while we let the boys do their own thing.  Good one on one time for everyone this week!

No comments: