May 13, 2013

Mother's Day

So I should probably just say up front as a warning to anyone that reads this (including my future self and my middle-aged children) that this is gonna be sappy. But I can't help it. At the risk of bringing huge doom down upon the House of Alan, I have to say that I have been feeling just so damn happy lately. So content. Job is great. Kids are great. Marriage is great. Life is in balance.  Now, don't get me wrong... life isn't perfect... but I'm thinking that it's about as perfect as life should be. You know? I mean, any better and I guess I'd feel guilty or wouldn't appreciate the little things.  But seriously. I just feel so blessed.

I realized today,Mother's Day, as special as it was, just really isn't THAT much different than my average Sunday these days. I mean, yeah... I got presents from Brian and the kids and maybe everyone tried extra hard to get along and be nice. But like most Sundays we hung out together, and played at the pool.  I read my book, and we watched some Giants on TVwhile Brian did the laundry.  The Warriors won Game 4 so that was nice of them. And the season finale of Survivor  Season 26 is on tonight so that's a bonus. And the mimosas I made my mom and I for brunch aren't the norm in my household.   But overall the day was much like a lot of Sundays. And how cool is that????

I started my day around 8AM when the kids ran into the room and bombarded me with hugs. Tanner ran in saying, "MOM, I HAVE A PRESENT FOR YOU IN MY MOUTH!". Ummmmm. OK. What in the heck does that mean, Tan?? He said, "You are the BEST MOMMY in the world! See? It was in my mouth!". Love that kid. Faith read me her Kindergarten portfolio that she had made. Jake gave me a book with the words to "It's a Wonderful World" and a CD with that song on it. He also made me a beautiful pendant at school that really looks like it came from a high end jewelry store. Tanner had a poem that he wrote for me (the focus of which was what a good cook I am... WHAT? What mom are these kids really living with? All of their preschool and preK and Kindergarten notes mention what a great cook I am. I guess they really like frozen pizza, grilled cheese, and PB and J! LOL!  In my list of things I do well as a mom, cooking isn't one of them!!)


Later in the morning Mom came over for mimosas and mixed berries and the kids bounced on the trampoline and played basketball in the yard while Brian went for a run.

We went to the pool and played there for a few hours then came home to watch the Warriors take game 4.  I went down to Starbucks and got an iced mocha and got to sing along loudly to all my favorite songs on the way with the windows rolled down. We topped it off with dinner out. A pie is in the oven and Survivor goes on as soon as the kids go to bed and Brian hides in the bedroom to avoid having to hear or see any part of what I lovingly refer to as "my date with Jeff Probst".

Now I am going to go knock on a lot of wood because now that I've put down on paper just how great life is, something bad is bound to happen. But I guess if it all goes to hell tomorrow I will have this as a reminder to how wonderful things can be and will be again. Right???



No comments: