Feb 1, 2014

Catching Up

Once again almost an entire month has gone by without a post. I don't think it's because we are busier than normal I think it's just that as the kids get older there is less to post about. I mean there is a ton going on... basketball, hip hop dance class, school awards, weekend fun, etc... but they are so independent now that oftentimes an entire day will go by where they are simply busy making rainbow loom bracelets and bouncing on the trampoline and then reading their books in various locations around the house, playing Wii, outside shooting baskets... and none of that makes for a real interesting post. I guess that could be a post in itself: how strange it is to have 3 independent kids that are needing less and less from their mom.

This school year has been so great for all three kids. They have amazing teachers and I am always impressed by the things they do at school and their home projects, etc... I am sad that we only have one year left with all three of them at Hidden Springs. Thank goodness our school goes through 6th grade, though. I am just not ready for my baby to go to Junior High yet!! End of semester report cards were wonderful and teachers comments about all three were so positive. Tanner's teacher said that he is finally letting his "humorous side out" which made me very happy because his teachers have always told us how serious he is in school (completely different than he is at home!).  Tanner won the Perseverance character award; Faith won the Patience award, and Jake won Teamwork and Courage. We couldn't be prouder of all of them.

Faith started basketball in early January and she loves it! She just bounces around the court and is smiling constantly while she dribbles, blocks, and shoots. Watching the coaches try to coach this group of girls is much like I imagine herding cats would be. She has obviously been paying attention to some of the action on the court as she has been dragged to hundreds of her brothers' basketball games through the years. She naturally gets the pace of the game and dribbling action, the back and forth on the court, etc... Several of the dads that are coaching have told me how impressed they are with her natural ability and have asked Brian and I what we have done to improve her skills. Haha. I think having two older brothers that play and often having NBA games on the TV has been the key.  Turns out that many of the girls on the team hadn't ever even watched a basketball game on TV so they are really starting from ground zero.  In any case, she is having a blast and we are loving watching her. She already said that she wants to do a basketball camp this summer, so maybe this one will stick!

Jake also has basketball going on right now. He is playing on the Hidden Springs 5th/6th grade team. It's busy, with practices every day except Wed, but games are right after school during the week so it leaves our evenings and weekends free, except for Faith's one bball game on Saturdays.  He is also helping to coach Faith's team. He is so good with the younger kids and has such a natural talent for coaching. I want to nurture that in him and encourage him to become a Y coach or camp counselor once he is older. He says that if he can't be a pro athlete when he grows up he wants to be a PE teacher, like his favorite coach (and PE teacher) , Mr. P.

Tanner isn't doing any sports right now, there's a lull between the end of his bball season and the start of baseball in the spring, but he is taking a hip hop dance class at the school on Friday mornings so we are entertained by his rendition of dance moves like "The Worm", "Salt and pepper", "Coffee Grinder" and more. He could hang out all day with his best friend, Gus, and be perfectly happy. The two of them are peas in a pod and I love Gus. I hope they stay friends all through high school and really do end up rooming together in college. LOL. They talk all the time about "moving in together".

Brian and I are heading off on our annual couple vacation tonight. We are heading to Oahu for 6 nights, staying in a "glamping" tent in the middle of a papaya/banana field and farm. Unfortunately our flight is delayed 11 hours. We were supposed to land at noon today but won't be landing until 1045 at night instead! That's what you get for buying 250.00 r/t flights to Hawaii!!  This week away is something I look forward to all year and I feel like it really is an investment in our marriage. We are lucky enough to have Auntie Sue and Grandma Mary staying with the kids and my mom will be here helping with transportation and stuff, too. Yep, feeling very blessed.

No comments: