Jun 14, 2014

Utah Day 8 - Moab

The tent was pretty comfortable- even with the three cots jammed in with us. We foolishly set an alarm for 8AM, because we had to be in Moab for our Hummer Safari at 945 and wanted to get breakfast first. This was foolish because we had forgotten that at the end of the day, canvas castle or not, we were still camping and the sun comes up EARLY. Brian and I were awake by 615. Once the kids were up, dressed, and sunscreened we headed into town for breakfast at the Moab Diner. For Brian and Jake it was the best breakfast of the trip: bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, biscuits and gravy. I got to stop at Moab Roasting Company for an iced espresso, and we set off to the Moab Adventure Center with full, happy stomachs ready for an adventure.

The Hummer Safari was great. I’ve never been off roading before and it was so much fun. Our guide, Molly, was friendly and kind (Faith started the tour sobbing that she didn’t want to go too fast…) and full of good stories about the area and information about the ecology. We even saw dinosaur footprints! We drove straight up the sides of boulders all the way to the top of the famous Slick Rock bike trail. It was a really cool way to experience the scenery.

After the tour we headed straight to Milt’s for milkshakes and French fries.  I know I have been to Milts as a child but had no recollection of it. Even when I walked inside and looked through their old memorabilia none of it rang a bell.  Still, I was glad we went. The French fries were delicious and it was fun to see the place that my mom talks about with such fondness. Tanner was pretty tired at that point and not feeling great (he wouldn’t even drink his milkshake so we knew he wasn’t anywhere near normal!) so after lunch we went back to the tent for an afternoon nap.

Later that afternoon we headed into Arches National Park and walked a few easy trails. The kids loved climbing on the rocks and tried to climb as high as they could as we viewed The Windows area and the Turret Arch.  Next we drove to the viewing point of the Delicate Arch. I know I saw it as a child and I think I was equally disappointed when I saw it then that it was so far away!!  I guess you get so used to seeing pictures of it that when you see it in person, from way far off, it is way less majestic than all the postcards you’ve seen. We could have taken a hike into see it, but at that point it was 98 degrees and the hike was listed as “strenuous” so we didn’t even discuss it as an option. On the way back down we stopped to view Balanced Rock and had some “fun with perspective” with the iphone camera.
 
We headed back in to down town for some final souvenir shopping, dinner (where our waiter sounded EXACTLY like Lemony Snickett playing Count Olaf in Book 3 of the Series of Unfortunate Events. We had endless fun imagining that every phrase he uttered ended with "ORPHANS" in his scary voice!) and a shave ice for the kids then home to our canvas castle for our second night. We slept with the windows and door open (except for the screen) and listened to the high wind shake our tent and blow cool air into the rather warm campsite. It was a great night, but not a great night’s sleep for Brian and I.  The kids slept like rocks but the wind kept Brian and I awake – but it was really pleasant and I didn’t mind not sleeping. Brian was up with the sunrise and had started loading the car by the time the kids and I were stirring.

We woke up, had homemade granola and cinnamon rolls at the local coffee place and set out our way back to Boise -with a planned stop in Park City to break up the 10 hour drive. 

No comments: