Jul 13, 2014

In Which Jake Tries to Earn a Little Extra Cash

The big thing with the sixth grade boys this summer has been starting mini businesses. Lawn mowing, weeding, pet sitting, etc…  Jake came to me a few weeks ago wanting to start a business like this and wanting to advertise around the neighborhood. He suggested lawn mowing. However, since he is not an expert yet (he just started doing ours a few months ago) and also since lugging a lawn mower across town does not sound like fun, I encouraged him to think of other ideas. When stumped I asked him to tell me what he likes to do. He said sports. I also asked him what he feels he is good at. He said entertaining little kids. Bam. He had a business idea. Within an hour or two he had typed up this flyer advertising JakeZ SportZ SkillZ for KidZ.  He paid me to run copies for him and he started delivering them to folks throughout the neighborhood. He put one up in the Merc and one up in the local library, then he asked me to post it on the neighborhood Facebook page.  He had his first client last week and it went really well. He got a rave review on FB stating that “it was the best $7.00 spent all summer”.  He is taking it very seriously and is learning so much about running a business. I love it. 

No comments: