
I have a new job! I am happy to say that the job search is OVER. My days are no longer ruled by multiple visits to Craigslist, Careerbuilder, Boiseidahojobs.com or any of the multitude of school district websites that were slowly taking over my existence these last few months. I am now a part of corporate America- OK, it is a small company, but still, a COMPANY and not a school district. Weird. A departure, for sure, but still in the education realm. For those of you that I haven't talked to, here's the deal: The State Dept. of Idaho recently adopted this program called SmartHelp Math for 45,000 students grades 5-8. The program's goal is to differentiate math instruction for students. It is designed and run by a company called Apangea Learning based in Pittsburgh, PA. I am working for Apangea, aiding in the implementation process. I will be training students and teachers on the program, so will be traveling throughout Boise/Meridian three days a week, and on the other two days I will be tutoring online using the program. I am really excited about the opportunity, especially since they are coming out with a similar program for writing later this year and the opportunity exists for me to move to that division at some point.
The company seems very family friendly and I have really connected with every person I interviewed with (there were 5 separate interviews- three of which were on the phone). Downside? I start TOMORROW and it is a regular business schedule: 3 weeks vacation/year plus the week between Christmas and New Years. No more summers off. That's going to be hard to adapt to, but hopefully with the flexibility of the schedule I won't feel it as much.
It was strange packing up my classroom, knowing that I would not be UNpacking my teaching supplies next year. OK... so I was close to tears. It will be my first year out of the classroom in 12 years. I know I will miss the kids (and the schedule!) but feel I am ready for something new, even if it is just for a year or two. Who knows? It could be for longer if I love it.
So, Brian and I got a babysitter and went out to celebrate the night I was hired. We are psyched because it is significantly more money than I was making the last two years, plus full benefits that are fully paid for all five of us, so we can stop paying the 500/month from Brian's check. Now I can go on vacation- our road trip to MN- with a light heart and fewer worries about the fortune it will cost us in gas!
No comments:
Post a Comment