Aug 18, 2008

First Day of Kindergarten (Take Two)

Jake has been beside himself with excitement over the last few days. We took him out to buy first day of school clothes yesterday and he picked out plaid shorts, a skateboarder t-shirt, and new basketball shoes. He came right home and laid them out on his bedroom floor, as if he were wearing them- shirt smoothed out at top, shorts under the shirt , socks coming out from each pant leg, shoes at the bottom. He then laid on them and said, "Yep, I think they will all fit me!". He was so anxious to pack his lunch, pack his backpack, etc... Tanner, meanwhile, has been copying everything Jake does. He packed his own backpack (with diapers) and packed his own lunch box. He laid out his clothes next to Jake's and talks about his "new school" and "new teacher". He will start at his new daycare next Monday and I am praying this enthusiasm lasts.

So the morning came- after a LONG night of restless sleep for our big guy. He woke up excited and showered, ate breakfast, and got dressed in his new duds ....but he began to show signs of
nervousness during the walk to school. He said he didn't want to go. He said there were too many people. He clung to me on the playground and anxiously asked if we were going inside with him. We did, of course, as did most of the K parents. Surprisingly he was one of the only kids that got teary. More moms were crying than kids, I think. I never, ever thought of myself as a mom that would drop her kid off at Kindergarten and worry. But that's what I did today. Worried if he was OK. Hoping he was happy. And feeling comfortable. And was making friends. And wasn't feeling lonely or sad. So many years I spent in classrooms as the teacher, telling parents not to worry, to just let go, leave, "He'll be fine!" I'd say. I hate to admit I was the last one to leave the room this morning. I did, however, stop myself from going by to check in on him after my workout (which is directly across the street from his school)!

Brian and I picked him up at 3:00 on the nose, along with every other K parent. He looked tired and it took a few minutes for him to talk to us, but when he did he told us that he loves his Kindergarten teacher, friends, and classroom. We took him over to the Merc and treated him to an ice cream and drink and we talked about his day. It was so great to get that one-on-one time with him. He told us happily that there was "nothing about K that he didn't like!".


No comments: