The boys were both really in to the Olympics. I guess it stands to reason- they are into just about every sport they see or try- but it still took Brian and I by surprise. They liked the pageantry of it all- and enjoyed standing up with hands over heart for each rendition of The Star Spangled Banner. In fact, that was one of the songs they picked each night for bedtime. I'm sure my screeching rendition was appreciated by the neighbors.They especially loved watching Michael Phelps swim and would wait anxiously for his races (often recorded from the night before), then stand up and cheer. Tanner would lay on his tummy in the shallow end of our neighborhood pool, move his arms and legs wildly, and yell, "Look at me! I'm Michael Phelps! I'm Michael Phelps!". This proved to be amusing to all who watched. Jake would wait for me to announce him (ex: "In Lane 3 we have Michael Phelps"), then "dive" in and swim his heart out to the other side. I swear he learned more in technique by simply watching the swim races than he has ever learned in swim lessons.
They weren't only swim fans, however. They also enjoyed the women's softball (possibly the only two in Idaho watching), ping pong, soccer, gymnastics, and diving. They chose the Olympics for each of their TV times each day. It was a welcome break from Dora and Diego, Scooby and Sponge Bob and I think we were all sad to see the 2008 Olympics come to an end.
I vividly remember watching the games when I was young- both '76 and '80 and dreaming of becoming an Olympic gymnast someday. It's so great that at age 5 and 9 it doesn't matter in the least if you have any skill in the sport at all (I had NONE!), the dream was still there. I wonder if the boys will remember this summer's games with fondness when they are grown.
No comments:
Post a Comment