Oct 11, 2008

Idyllic and Rare



I'd better write this post fast....before I forget. Because today was such a great day- one of those rare days when I felt that I not only had everything under control but that I was actually excelling at this motherhood/partnership thing. That allusive search for balance.... today, for once, I felt I had found it.

Brian and I grocery shopped together- with two baskets and three kids. This is not new, actually. For some odd reason this is fun for us and even though we have been saying for years that it would make much more sense to "divide and conquer" we really enjoy our Saturday early morning trips to WalMart. Anyway, then I did my yoga class (more on that later) while Brian baked a new cookie/energy bar recipe and put the kids down for naps. Then I came home and put together a crock pot dinner while he worked out. Later we ran a few errands, took the kids to the park, and sat together on the couches watching the ALCS. Tanner "read" quietly to Faith on one chair (really one of the cutest things I've ever seen) while Jake laid with Brian ,covered in a warm blanket, on the couch.

Maybe it is the sudden change from fall to winter. It snowed last night (Yes, I said "SNOW" and it is only Oct. 10th!!) and as we walked to the Merc for dinner the boys kept the blowing flurries off their faces with their Spiderman umbrellas while Brian tried to hold our big umbrella over both Faith and I. The Merc was warm and welcoming and full of friends and neighbors. It was the first night that we had ths kids in "feety jammies" and the fireplace on. Then we woke up this morning to 22 degree weather and it just made everything feel so peaceful.

Maybe its the fact that I am three weeks into my new hobby- Bikram Yoga- It is a challenge every time and it makes me realize how rarely I challenge myself (physically and mentally). I take the 90 minute class three times a week and look so forward to it in a way I rarely do anymore when it comes to working out. I love it. I am not a "It changed my life!" kind of person and yet I feel like it is doing just that. And even though my three week trial period is over and it is kind of pricey, I feel like I can't afford NOT to continue.

Maybe its that Tanner has made noticeable progress in daycare (he didn't cry at all on Friday!) or that he has slowed down some on the repetition thing. Or the simple fact that there was no drama at bedtime and everyone ate their dinner without complaint

Maybe its that the passing of yet another season reminds me that time moves too quickly and these days will be over before I know it. Easier to embrace today knowing that one day soon I will miss the chaos (or so I am told!).

In any case, I have so many days (and so many blogs) that highlight the hard parts, that I just wanted to take a minute to record one that was easy. Because the next time I feel like I need to run screaming from my house and head for the nearest bar, I want to be able to look back and see that there really are days like this to balance out the craziness.

No comments: