May 29, 2009

Mother of a First Grader....or not

















Jake's Kindergarten Graduation was today. Let me start by stating my opinion on the idea of "graduating" from Kindergarten: It is silly. The Pomp and Circumstance playing as the kids walked in with the graduation caps and the slide show of the year playing on the big screen was all a little too much for Brian and I to handle. Cute, yes, but WAY over the top. I am not a Scrooge. Honestly. But I fit it into the same category of "Everyone Gets a Trophy" and "Everyone Wins Citizen of the Week". If they have a full fledged graduation ceremony at 6, what does High School and college graduation really mean?

Jake was very nervous for his singing presentation with his class and I caught him practicing the "hand shake with the right and accept the diploma with the left" while he was in bed last night. So, I am officially the mother of a first grader. Am I really old enough for that title?

When I congratulated Jake on being a 1st grader, however, he told
me in no uncertain terms that he is NOT a first grader yet. He is still a Kindergardener. "It's like a clock, Mom. If the little hand is BETWEEN the 2 and the 3, it isn't 3 yet. It only becomes 3 o'clock when the big hand actually is ON the three!" OK, then. I guess I am not the mother of a first grader yet. I stand corrected.

It was a busy day. After the ceremony- complete with a balloon arch and cookie reception and lots of crying parents- I took Jake home with two of his friends. We played at the pool for a few hours, watched Madagascar 2 and the boys entertained themselves with basketball and chess until it was time for the Carnival. No, I am not kidding. We had an all-school carnival from 3-5 on the playground. Brian and I manned the Dunk Tank and Jake got to dunk his favorite teacher- Mr. Perotto (the PE teacher, of course).

The kids are all exhausted and currently watching SpongeBob until bedtime. We are hoping they sleep until noon.

No comments: