Sep 15, 2009

Work and Family Balance and Other Things

Never an easy thing, but definitely made more difficult in the last few weeks.

Apangea life has gotten really busy, which is a good thing because it definitely makes my job more interesting and keeps me more focused, but it also makes the work/family balance trickier. After spending 3 nights in Eastern Idaho in late July, five days in PA in early August, I spent 4 days in Northern California this past week. The Account Manager for CA quit unexpectedly and since I was closest geographically they sent me to cover the accounts. I was hoping to see friends and family while there but was kept really busy traveling the freeways from San Jose to Sonoma to Santa Rosa, Oakland, SF, Cupertino, and more. It wasn't all work and no play, but pretty close. The trip definitely made me realize a few things:

0. Brian is a saint. "Super Dad" doesn't do it justice. Taking care of three kids, a full time job, PLUS laundry done and a clean house? Come on.... you're showing me up here, Honey!
1. GPS is my best friend. Seriously I think I would still be lost in the depths of downtown Oakland if I didn't have it with me.
2. Traffic sucks. I hate freeway driving.
3. I miss diversity. Idaho really is devoid of it.
4. I don't miss house prices. Driving down 580 I spotted a condo (on the freeway, mind you) that advertised in huge letters, "From the high 500''s!!". This is a GOOD thing? The high 500's here buys you a mansion. Literally.
5. Being away from the kids and Brian is hard, but definitely reminds me that "absence makes the heart grow fonder" is true.
6. The "no talking on cell phone while driving" thing is a good law. Much safer. Converted me to using an earpiece here in Idaho, too. (Dad, I know you'll be happy to hear that!)
7. I no longer consider myself a "Californian". When people asked me where I was from, the natural thing that came out of my mouth was "Boise, Idaho.". Landing back in Boise was heaven.

So.... some other noteworthy events:

My mom visited for a week in late August and while she was here adopted a Golden Retriever named Reba. She is a very sweet dog and the kids have fallen in love with her. We watched her for the last few weeks while Mom was in Utah and she slept with Jake each night (making bedtime easier, phew...). We took her and Milo on walks and played fetch. Although it added chaos to our household, it was fun to have her here. She is so gentle that even Faith could hold the leash when we walked her. Mom came today to pick her up and the kids miss her already, I am sure.

Kim and her family visited over Labor Day weekend. We had a lot of fun and the kids were great together. Unfortunately we had a bit of a boat mishap when we tried to take them to Lucky Peak to go skiing. Let's just say that any day that begins with the need for a fire extinguisher is a stressful one. No one was hurt, but it was a bummer, to say the least. Is this why they say that you shouldn't own a boat but instead just be friends with someone that owns a boat????

Tanner loves preschool. Even though we have to practically drag details put of him about what he does there, I have found him several times laying in bed after dark and telling Jake all about his friends and his activities there. He is such a crackup. Last night at 9PM (two hours after bedtime) he called me upstairs and when I walked in, he called me over quietly and very earnestly asked me, "Mom, do you have hair in your nose?". It's like he had been thinking hard about this issue and couldn't sleep until he knew the answer.

Jake is enjoying first grade, too. I love walking him to and from school, chatting with neighbors, helping him with homework, etc... This is something I wouldn't have been able to do had I been teaching this year, so I am very grateful. I even get to volunteer in his classroom on Tuesday mornings this year and he is really excited about that. He seems to have gotten over some of his bedtime stress- and just in the nick of time. His untimely demise was almost certain.

Faith is a doll. That little girl completes my life in a way I never anticipated. She continues to adore her brothers and she and Tanner can be quite the little mischief makers. Last night at 9 0'clock (again... two hours AFTER bedtime!) we heard the pitter patter of little feet above us. Upon investigation we found the two practically dancing with glee in the hallway together. Seems Tanner had gone in to "check " on Faith, found her awake (much to his delight) and enticed her out of bed to play. She calls Jake "My Jakey" and he treats her with so much tenderness it breaks my heart.

In short, all is well in the Alan Household. We celebrate our 8th anniversary next Tuesday. In honor of that event, I end this post with the following quote. I think it describes the relationship we have created perfectly:

"As a couple we don't lead and follow. We stumble forward together. It is not always clear, and only very rarely elegant. After (eight) years of marraige our journey does not often resemble a well-oiled dance but more the path made by a Seussian machine that rattles side to side and somehow inches forward. It's our particular dance. We're pretty good at it. We do it in sneakers."

No comments: