Sep 25, 2011

Shake It Off

Jake loves football and has wanted to play football as long as he has been able to catch a ball. For a long time we weren't sure he was going to be able to due to his kidney thing, but we got the okay from the pediatrician, and he's in his second season of flag football.

We had to have a pretty tricky talk with him this week about the difference between being "hurt" and being "injured". He gets knocked around pretty good playing football as he is the QB and runs the ball quite a bit and is constantly getting "hurt". This generally dissolves into tears, the coaching staff having to come out and calm him down, him coming off and someone else having to go in and play his position and us kind of shifting uncomfortably on the sidelines because we know that he's fine.

It's happened in each game and a couple of practices so far. In his game yesterday, it went so far that they brought the cart out and, based on his dramatic reaction to the fall, diagnosed him with a mild concussion. 1/2 an hour later he was up running around, no headache, and feeling fine. He even admitted he was overreacting. Now, due to league rules, we have to take him and get him cleared by his doctor with a written release before he can play or practice again.

We're not quiet sure if it's just he's not tough enough to play football, or that he likes the drama, but it's gotten to be embarrassing. I was out with Faith at her game yesterday when Marisa told me he was hurt. We raced across town to the field in time to pick him up (worried out of my mind the entire way) and he ended up being fine.

Not wanting to come across as "that Dad", Marisa and I both sat down and talked to him about it
yesterday. I thought he got it I really did. Then he scraped his knee on the stairs and was screaming like his leg had been cut off. I looked at his knee and couldn't even find the scratch, so back to square one.

One of the coaches on his team is a dad that played for the Chicago Bears and Washington Redskins in the NFL (he played for BSU in college which is why he lives here), anyway, he blew out his knee to such a degree that he was never able to get back. I'm thinking about asking him to talk to Jake about the difference between "hurt" and injured". I don't want Jake to not tell us if he gets hurt, and he has been injured while playing football (he got his face smashed last year and was bleeding) and we explained that is a legitimate injury and worth some tears. Stuff that he has forgotten about 10 minutes later, not so much.

It's a tough line to find and a tougher conversation to have. Hopefully it will resolve itself before tackle season starts next year or I don't know what we're going to do.

No comments: