Jul 7, 2013

More Summer Fun

It's been a busy but fun couple of weeks. 

We returned from our vacation to Sun Valley on Wednesday afternoon- in time for the first Summer Ball practice. The boys (all three of them) had a great practice followed by a HOT game on Monday night. It was 108 that day and we kept them cool with lots of water dumped on their heads and forcing liquids every few minutes. Ken, a friend of ours with a son on the team, ran around the infield and outfield with a big jug of water to keep the kids hydrated. It was pretty funny- we were all sure Ken would be the one to collapse from heat exhaustion, not the kids. Despite the heat it was a great evening. The team lost, but they played well. It was Tanner's first game playing with the big kids and he was nervous. He did GREAT though!! He is one heck of a catcher and held his own with the 10 and 11 year olds.

Jake had HSB Basketball camp Fri, Sat, and Sunday so Brian and I hung out with Faith and Tanner and took them fishing down at Quinn's pond. It was a bit of a bust because we couldn't find a good spot and had forgotten sunscreen so it was a short and sweet trip. 

Saturday night was the annual Camp Out on the Green and it was projected to be another 107 degree day. Still, we decided to brave it and set up our tent early in the day. We headed out to the Green around 7:00 and both Faith and Jake invited a friend to come spend the night with us in our Taj Majal Tent. The kids all brought their scooters and rode them all over the closed parking lot, they had icees from the icee shack, hotdogs and s'mores from the campfire (yes, there was still a camp fire even though heat was the LAST thing we needed!). It cooled off around 10PM and they showed Despicable Me on the screen outside the Merc. There were a bunch of Jake's friends there- and lots of girls- and it was pretty funny watching him interact with the girls. I know I say this often but we will really have our hands full with that one once puberty hits full on! Everyone had a blast and we all slept pretty well from midnight to 730AM.  We packed up early- trying to avoid the heat- and spent the rest of Sunday indoors. 

The babysitter cancelled at the last minute for last week so I took Tuesday off . I took the kids to the pool in the morning where Faith showed me that she is now (finally!) water safe in the deep end! Yay! She's become quite the little fish already and all three of the kids would gladly hang out at the pool all day everyday if we were able.  Later that afternoon I took the kids and each of their friends to see Monsters University. That was pretty fun, too, and even though the older kids didn't like it much, Faith and Tanner (and their friends) liked it a lot. Of course, the boys had to sit separate from me (I embarrass Jake to no end these days and Tanner and his friend wanted to be like the big kids).  They are really growing up TOO FAST. It's killin' me. 

The 4th of July made it a short work week. The kids decided to ride in the neighborhood parade after being invited by a neighbor to drive these cool powered cars. Faith was supposed to drive one, too, but decided last minute she was too afraid so she rode her scooter and collected candy along the route. Brian and I walked. It took up most of the morning then we spent the afternoon at the pool. The evening brought our annual 4th of July Hawks Game with Sheila and Wayne. We had great seats in the shade and the weather was perfect- not too hot at all, which was a miracle! The fireworks after the game were the highlight, of course. My only complaint was that they replaced my favorite 4th of July song (God Bless the USA by Lee Greenwood) with "Party in the USA". Very disappointing. But it was a great fireworks show which ended with another gigantic fireball which I guess is the way they do it here in Boise since this is the third year in a row it has happened. 

Brian worked on Friday but I had the day off so the kids and I hung out together exploring the river a little bit, going out to lunch, going to the library, and grocery shopping. More time at the pool rounded out our day. I LOVE SUMMER. 

This week is going to be a little nutso. Between work commitments, orthodontist and Dr. appts, summer baseball, and basketball there's hardly a spare moment. Luckily our babysitter is back so she will take the kids T/W/Th from 10-3 giving Brian and I some time without the kids around so we can breathe, relax, and.... oh yeah.... work.  I head to Vegas for work training on Sunday-Thursday and then the summer will be half over. CRAZY. 

No comments: