Aug 25, 2014

Best Surprise Ever

We had a busy weekend planned last week. There was the football Jamboree at BSU most of the day on Saturday and then the kids had their performance of the Peter Pan play for the Hidden Springs Library on Sunday. Brian was up early (630) to get Jake to BSU on time. He got a text message from his mom asking if anyone was up for donuts. He texted her back and said that we were all still sleeping and didn't give it much more thought. A few minutes later he got another text saying, "Look on your front porch". He figured that in typical Grandma Mary fashion she had ordered us donuts and they were delivered to our house in time for beginning of football season. He jumped in the shower, took his time, and then opened the door expecting to see a fed ex package or something. Nope. He got more than he bargained for. Right there on our front porch in Boise Idaho stood Grandma Mary and Auntie Sue holding two dozen donuts.

I was still asleep. Brian came in the room and tapped my foot, waking me up, and whispered, "Honey...wake up! Mom and Auntie Sue are here!". Like I said, I was still asleep, so I murmured, "OK" thinking it was a dream, and then promptly rolled over and fell back asleep. A few minutes later, he came in again. Tugging on my foot a little more urgently, he said (a little more loudly this time), "HONEY, you need to get up. Auntie Sue and Mom are here. They brought donuts!". I threw a robe on and walked into the family room rubbing my eyes, still partially asleep and thinking I must have misheard. Sure enough there they were. On our couches. There were the donuts. Right on the kitchen counter.

They wanted to surprise the kids and come see them in the play. Well, they definitely pulled it off. Unbelievable. Neither Brian or I had any idea that they were coming.  I've rarely been this shocked or surprised in my life. 

Brian and Jake left for the first part of the Jamboree. We talked for about an hour while the kids continued sleeping upstairs. A little while later, Faith came down, rubbed her eyes, and in happy shock greeted two of her favorite people in the world. Next came Tanner. Same drill.  Turns out they had booked a room over the Merc for the weekend and came just so they could surprise the kids and see them in the play on Sunday.

Best. Surprise. Ever.

They tagged along for the Jamboree, getting to watch Tanner play in his first game of the season, and then came along for BTS clothes shopping on Sunday.  Saturday night we did movie night at our house, then the kids all slept over with Mary and Sue in their suite above the Merc.  The play was Sunday evening and it WAS A BLAST. Faith and Jake both rocked their parts with confidence and enthusiasm. We enjoyed every second of the play, and every second we got to spend with Auntie Sue and Grandma Mary.

No comments: