A few teenage girls in the neighborhood with acting backgrounds decided to do a fundraiser for the Hidden Springs Library (which is expanding and moving into the new Merc building this month). They ran play auditions in early June, then ran play practice 2-4 times a week throughout the summer. They built sets and bought thrift store materials with which to make costumes for all the cast. They made a program for the play, had makeup for the characters and basically just took care of everything. It was about the coolest thing I have ever seen teenagers do. I was so impressed.Faith was the only one of the kids originally interested in the play, but Jake got involved as a way to help her get over her nervousness at the first few practices. He was roped into playing Captain Hook and got one of his buddies involved to play John. Brian and I dropped them at practices and offered to assist as needed but no help was ever asked for so we really didn't know quite what to expect when we went to watch the "final product" last weekend.
The barn was PACKED. They were hoping for 80 people and got closer to 120-150. Every part of the play was well done, from ticket sales to intermission refreshment sales (donated baked good donated by neighbors and water donated by Albertsons). Set changes were done, lighting was provided and manned, makeup and costumes were done seamlessly.Faith played a mermaid and also a pirate. She had two costumes and each time she was on stage she just looked so happy and excited to be there. If she was nervous you couldn't tell. She had all her lines memorized and spoke loudly, clearly, and with great expression. She also helped with the set changes. I was so very proud of her. She can't wait to do her next play.
Jake was funny and had the largest part in the play (except possibly for Peter's part, but I think Captain Hook may have had more lines than even Peter). He mostly kept his composure and even when funny things happened (like his sword falling apart) he rolled with it and had fun. While I am not sure he sees a future in acting, he was fantastic!
Having Nana and Grandma Mary and Auntie Sue in the audience was such a treat. It's something that I don't think any of us will forget anytime soon.
The girls that produced and directed the play are already planning another one for next season. I know what Faith will be doing next summer!

No comments:
Post a Comment