Happy Fathers Day all! This has been a rough year so far from a Fatherhood perspective. I have been trying to think what to write all day, and I think I have the perfect analogy. 2011 for me so far has been just like Derek Jeter's 2011 season... let me explain.I'm getting older. I don't have as much range as I used to. I sometimes struggle making the routine plays. I'm still the captain of the team, but it's more ceremonial than anything anymore, as I don't really carry the weight of the title. I re-built my whole swing in the offseason, but struggled out of the gate, so I scrapped all the changes and went back to my old swing. I'm trying for my 3,000th hit, but am on the DL for one of the few times in my career. I'm not hitting for extra bases anymore, instead, slapping singles here and there and getting on base due to errors. I have another couple of years left on my contract, but everyone is just waiting for me to retire. The analogy kind of falls apart when you get to the point of dating Minka Kelly, but what can you do?
It spite of my Jeterish 1st half of the year, I had a
great Fathers Day. I got a bunch of very nice gifts, including several very nice pictures and bookmarks from the kids. NFL Sunday Ticket from my lovely wife (now I've just gotta hope for a football season). We had breakfast out and I got to eat a chocolate donut that was as long as my forearm. We went to Dick's Sporting Goods and I got some new shoes. Marisa and the kids went out to the YMCA, so I got some time alone to watch a James Bond movie (Casino Royale - awesome!). Then out for great burgers and fries for dinner followed by ice cream from the candyshop. Then we took Jackson down to the dog park, off-leash for the first time ever and threw the tennis balls (a few to him, but mostly pop-up's to the boys).
Days like this help put it all in perspective. After all, Jeter is still the starting shortstop for the Yankees. He'll make the All-Star team again this year. He'll get his 3,000th hit. He is a sure fire, first ballot, Hall-Of-Famer. Then there's the millions and millions of dollars and the fact that he IS dating Minka Kelly after all. So, things could be worse, I could be A-Rod......
No comments:
Post a Comment